Mistweaver Saih

Mistweaver Saih



05/11/19

I decided to try something different with this mini. Wise or not, I decided to paint on a zenithal highlight, instead of spraying one on. Three reasons for this, 1) the air brush annoys the hell out of me in how quickly it gets clogged up, 2) I wanted to save my lungs and not use a rattle can, and 3) I just wanted to see how it would turn out. 

I think I have been somewhat bolstered by my success with Lady Olynder, having won all the categories in the Masters section at my local Warhammer shop with her. That and that one painting seems to have shifted my perspective slightly when it comes to painting. 

I have sprayed zenithal on miniatures before, but I always put the paint on too thick so it obscured the light/shadows provided by the technique. Not this time! This time I'm going to use glazes like I did with Olynder. Yes, it is more time consuming, but for this mini it is the journey that interests me more than reaching the end. (My future self may not share that same sentiment in a few months time if she is still hanging around on my desk though!)

I also purchased some Scalecolour paints, the Blood and Fire set, which I hope will help me on my quest to paint better reds. My painting weak spots I see as challenges to overcome!

I have also wondered, as I have been sketching in the highlights and shadows on Saih, how can one painting suddenly change your perspective so drastically? Did I really learn that much on painting Olynder? It feels like I did. I just hope they were good habits I picked up and not bad ones.

Also tonight I have started painting Saih's hair. I did at one point look at what I had done so far on the monochromatic side and think, how am I supposed to colour this in? But it seems to be a simple enough process, and the zenithal seems to be doing quite a bit of the work. We will see: 



01/12/19

I have been progressing somewhat with this model, but what I've been doing is not exactly my usual way of painting so it is difficult to put into words exactly what I've been doing. I have been in some sense trying to duplicate what I did with Lady Olynder and I am pleased with how things have been going, but seeing as I am trying to figure stuff out as I go along it's difficult to explain how or why I've done something. 


I painted her skin following Darren Latham's method of painting female faces, but she's seems a bit too warm skinned for the model, so I think I need to lighten this up and it needs to be darker between her fingers. Working from photos definitely helps because you can see where you need to go a little better (I think) than working directly from the model.

I'm happy with the skirt, smoke, top and hair, I just need to tweak the skin and put a wash over the trousers to tone them down a bit. Then figure out what colours I'm going to use for my attempt at NMM gold! 

19/04/20

I will have to do another post on NMM as I finished this model without actually doing a step by step, but it was a difficult thing to do given that I was figuring this out for the first time. But here some pictures of the finished model: 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey with Burnout

Let's Talk About Non-Metal-Metal (NMM)

Recommended Brushes