Evocators on Dracolines



I painted the below model in my own scheme. Not sure now if I was being brave or stupid in doing my own colours for the dracoline, but they turned out pretty good. I will try and log the process for the next one I do, if you're interested!






If I can I will always sub-assembly my miniatures, it's rare I don't. It just makes life easier when painting, especially in hard to reach areas.

After assembly and filling any gaps and smoothing these down, first thing to do is base coat in Celestra Grey:


I recommend doing several thin layers to get an even coat. Celestra Grey is one of those colours that looks a bit crummy for the first few layers, but after that you can get a really nice smooth coat.

Next step is start blocking in the base colours:

I was trying for a really bright red on the first model I painting but it didn't work and came out rather dull instead. However, I did stumble upon something else that I think may help to make a brighter red, I just need to test it out.

01/10/19

Now tested out my 'accident' and I like how it has come out. Basically, I painted over Mephiston Red with Evil Sunz Red then roughly highlighted with Fire Dragon Bright (note, this colour is a real pain if you knock the pot over!)

Mephiston Red painted over with Evil Sunz Red with a very rough highlight of Fire Dragon Bright.
Then I applied two washes of Mephiston Red over this:

I think this has come out a lot brighter. I am starting to see that a good undercoat is worth putting time into.

03/10/19

I have been trying something a little different and using contrast paint to block in my shadows rather than relying on shades to do so. I think it has come out better and enables me more control:


Once I'm happy with blocking the shadows in I'll work on the highlights!

N.B. This project is still ongoing! And is taking a backseat row for the moment whilst I finish off other stuff, but I will keep updating so you can see my progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey with Burnout

Let's Talk About Non-Metal-Metal (NMM)

Recommended Brushes