TMM Tutorial



On my last painting, the Stormcast Lord Aquilor, I decided to try TMM, or true metal metal. I have tried non-metal metal, but that is something I think I will focus on another year.  This year though I have clicked with TMM and did myself (and anyone else who is interested) a little guide on Instagram, but thought I would include here in my blog.

As a side note the Lord Aquilor painting is why I've been lacking in posts and updates on here. I literally was getting home from work and painting for 3 hours and then about 5 hours each day at the weekends for four weeks. So that model had about 80 hours worth of work put into it. Please see that post for more information.

So on with the guide:

I tend to base most thing in Celestra Grey, as it just covers really nicely, once you get a good base coat down as I tend to use 3-5 thin coats in order to do this.

Paints used in this example are below, where I've used Scalecolour I've put alternate GW ones:

Games Workshop:
Balthazar Gold
Ceremite White
Auric Gold
Warplock Bronze
Stormhost Silver


Scalecolour:
Sahara Desert (Averland Sunset GW)
Tenere Yellow (Dorn Yellow GW)

I used Vallejo's Glaze Medium to thin the paints with. Lahmian Medium should work just as well.

1) Paint over the Celestra Grey base with Balthazar Gold


2) Paint the parts of the should pad where the light would hit, with Sahara Desert (or Averland Sunset). I was painting it at the same angle as the photo, which is kind of where it sits on the model, so adjust to your model's requirements. 



3) Go lighter again with Tenere Yellow (or Dorn Yellow), edge highlighting the previous highlights, building up the depth here. (P.S. the reason the photo is the other way round is that I had already started the next stage on the other side of the pad without taking a photo!)


4) This is the final highlight, done by adding Ceremite White to the last yellow and dotted the mix on the tips of the pad where the light would hit. 


5) Then I gave the whole thing a watered down wash of Auric Gold


6) For the shading I used Warplock Bronze watered down. Just place this into the recesses and be careful not to go over what you've already done. 


7) Once you're happy with the shading, tidy up with Auric Gold if need be, then apply a final highlight of Stormhost Silver on all the edges, lightning bolts and studs and you're done!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey with Burnout

Let's Talk About Non-Metal-Metal (NMM)

Recommended Brushes